African Development Bank (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank's development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Corporate Business Officer
Position N°: 50071097
The Hiring Department
- The Senior Vice-Presidency (SNVP) under the leadership of the Senior Vice President (SVP) is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results. The SVP will also in charge of providing effective leadership for Senior Management.
- The incumbent is responsible for the seamless coordination of the implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions and the identification of institutional and managerial weaknesses and the proffering of necessary corrective measures and actions.
- The SVP chairs the Senior Management Coordination Committee (SMCC) and Operations Committee (OpsCom) meetings, leads senior management discussions, decision-making processes, and ensures the implementation of key Board and Management decisions, including internal audit and independent evaluation recommendations.
- The incumbent also oversees and ensures compliance of the Bank with the dictates of its policies and strategies, including fiduciary, environmental, and social safeguards, risk management functions, etc.
The role of the Director of SNDI is to coordinate and support the SVP in the execution of responsibilities related to:
- Coordinating the implementation of Bank-wide activities;
- Monitoring of corporate performance and results;
- Ensuring organizational/institutional effectiveness and efficiency; and
- Overseeing organizational units reporting directly to the SVP. The SNDI Director also plays the role of secretary to the Senior Management Coordination Committee (SMCC) secretariat, and supports the SVP in Board and Board Committee meetings.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the SNDI Director, the Chief Corporate Business Officer is in charge of the day-to-day running of the SMCC. As secretary to the SMCC the officer is responsible for organizing weekly and other special meetings of the SMCC, taking notes and preparing the minutes and flash reports after each meeting.
- The Officer is responsible for preparing the agenda of the SMCC in coordination with the Front Offices of the different complexes of the Bank Group.
- The Officer is responsible for ensuring the efficient coordination of day-to-day management of SMCC activities, monitoring and facilitating the effective implementation of key SMCC decisions, monitoring and facilitating the effective implementation of internal audit recommendations, ensuring coherence across complexes in the execution of Board and management decisions, attending AUFI meetings and reporting to the SVP, and coordinating relevant senior management meetings.
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the SNDI Director and the Senior Vice President, the Chief Corporate Business Officer will carry out the following duties:
- Provide SMCC Coordination and Secretariat services under the leadership of the Director and SVP: plan ahead via active management of the SMCC pipeline; propose weekly or special SMCC agenda (taking corporate priorities into consideration); review documents and submit briefing notes to the Chair; coordinate logistics of the meeting; and prepare post-meeting reports (PRST flash report, meeting minutes and matters arising table)
- Lead and coordinate the effective monitoring of the implementation of strategic decisions taken by the SMCC. Liaise with the Operations Committee (OpsCom) Secretariat and the Front Office of the President as appropriate.
- Act as Audit Coordinator for the SVP Office and the units under PCSC: coordinate internal audit activities directly affecting these units and ensure that action plans are responsive and coherent.
- Coordinate the periodic follow-up on Management implementation of internal audit recommendations: collect complex-level inputs; consolidate, review and validate prior to submission the Internal Audit department (PAGL); and coordinate the Management response to PGAL’s follow-up report to AUFI.
- Work with other Front Office staff to prepare regular cross complex updates, highlighting for the attention of the SVP any issues requiring attention.
- Serve as the focal point for the AUFI Board sub-committee and other special purpose Committees as assigned by the SVP.
- Serve as focal point for SVP engagement with the following organizational units: Internal Audit (PAGL), investigations (PIAC), finance complex (FIVP), integrity (PETH), risk (PGRM), compliance (CRMU), evaluations (BDEV), security (PECU), and President’s Office (PCSC).
- Monitor the execution of decisions taken during AUFI meetings or other meetings, as assigned by the SVP.
- Review documents/correspondences and provide comments/advice as necessary for the SVP’s attention.
- Provide technical support to the SVP and SNDI Director during meetings with internal and external parties, taking minutes and preparing summary notes to facilitate follow up and implementation of decisions.
- Represent the SVP Office in cross-complex initiatives and task forces (e.g., Climate Change Coordination Committee).
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Master's degree (or its equivalent) in Business Administration, Management, Finance, Economics or related disciplines.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience in coordination activities, performance monitoring, audit, risk management and budget management in international organizations.
- Excellent technical, analytical skills on organizational effectiveness and performance monitoring issues;
- Critical thinking skills, including the capacity to identify, assess and order competing interests and priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to work across institutional boundaries with various teams and diverse skills and expertise.
- High degree of discretion, tact and sensitivity in dealing with internal and external clients and stakeholders at all levels.
- Ability to critically analyze information from different (at times conflicting) sources to arrive at an informed judgement on complex and cross-cutting issues Bank-wide for the attention of the SVP.
- Excellent knowledge of the Bank, a capacity for conceptual and strategic analysis, and good understanding of corporate and operational issues.
- Ability to handle stress due to multiple, simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities and deadlines; managing heavy workload
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (preferably in both working languages of the Bank, French & English), and be able to handle discussions with senior officials with diplomacy and tact
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point); knowledge of SAP is an added advantage.
14th February 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate should:Click here to apply online