African Development Bank (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank's development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Employee Welfare Officer
Position N°: 50076458
The Hiring Department
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services (CHVP) ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services. The complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, IT, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity and, health and safety strategies.
- The overall objective of the CHMH Unit is to make the Bank an employer of choice by providing staff members with the most conducive and healthy working environment. Its mission is to drive the transformation of the Medical and Occupational Health Services offered by the Bank and enhancing health promotion, prevention strategies and comprehensive interventions in an effort to protect, preserve and promote the health and well-being of all Staff members - healthy lifestyles for all.
- Specifically, the Unit seeks to ensure proper application of the Bank’s policies, instructions and procedures on matters of staff health and well-being; formulate health and welfare policies that are consistent with best practices in healthcare in the workplace; and ensure the administration and provision of quality medical care to Bank’s staff and their dependents; facilitate a healthy working environment for staff through the observance of best practices in health and well-being; oversee and monitor the implementation of the work-life balance guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Staff members are the most important asset of the Bank. Their mental and physical well-being determines the organization productivity.
- The Senior Employee Welfare Officer works at both strategic and operational level to manage various personnel policies that affect people at work and at home, such as resolving human relations problems, promoting employee health and well-being.
- S/he will work in tandem with the Medical team to monitor activities related to staff welfare in Regional hubs and Country offices.
Under the overall supervision of the Unit Head of Medical & Occupational Health Services, the Senior Employee Welfare Officer will undertake the following Key Responsibilities:
Managing Employee Relations
- Establishes and maintains good relationships between Managers and staff
- Assists in the resolution of specific disciplinary or grievance cases, including acting as an arbiter between the staff and the Manager
- Ensures that grievance handling and disciplinary proceedings are carried out in line with Bank rules
- Liaises with recourse mechanisms such as: Ombudsman, Appeal Committee, Ethics, Staff Council
- Builds employee relations capacity and enables management effectiveness through the execution of proactive employee relations initiatives and the delivery of targeted training programs.
- Implements proactive employee relations initiatives and responds to Staff Council organizing activity
Provision of Social and Welfare Services:
- Develops and provides comprehensive social and welfare services, including counseling and coaching to staff;
- Facilitates staff and their recognized dependants settling in the country and provides social and family services that promote and facilitate social integration within a new environment and culture;
- Develops new administrative procedures to cater for death cases
- Acts as the contact person representing the Bank for death cases
- Processes invoices for payment relating to all funeral expenses on behalf of the Bank
- Resolves conflicts between staff members and third parties outside the Bank
- Prepares and organizes the President’s annual banquet for staff and spouses
- Prepares and organizes the Long Service Awards ceremonies
- Prepares and organizes reception for retiring staff
- Supports the AfDB Family Association in organizing their seasonal and cultural activities for staff and dependants
- Supports the Bank’s Artistic and cultural club in organizing their activities
- Prepares and organizes the election of Family Association’s Bureau
- Prepares and organizes the of Staff Council’s election
- Supervises the management of the Bank’s Fitness Centre.
Implementation of Work-life Balance Guidelines:
- Oversees and monitor the implementation of the work-life balance guidelines
- Acts as the Unit’s interface with HR, Senior Management and Staff Council, to facilitate the implementation of flexible working hours and remote working
- Works with Medical team to implement the use of automated tools; care data and sick leave management as well as guidelines on Health and wellbeing.
- Manages maternity and paternity leaves
- Works with the Medical team to ensure optimum use of facilities such as “Crèche” to be implemented in the future
- Works in tandem with the Medical team to recognize and address tress related illness and burnout; prevention campaign seminars.
- Any other task to be assigned by the Unit Head.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Master's degree or its equivalent in Human Resources Management, Social Sciences, Business Administration or other related disciplines.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant practical working experience handling Social Welfare related duties in similar organizations.
- Ability to initiate and manage innovations and changes.
- Experience in participation of staff motivation programs.
- Ability to interact effectively with people, and cooperate with other colleagues
- Capable of motivating, leading and inspiring enthusiasm and trust.
- Private sector experience is advantageous
- Operational Effectiveness
- Problem Solving
- Client Orientation
- Team working and relations
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French languages, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications. Preferably experience of SAP or other integrated Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system in HR/administration.
14th February 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate should:Click here to apply online